STOMP Fun Facts
Posted on 12/04/2018
On Friday, January 11, and Saturday, January 12, 2019, State Theatre New Jersey will proudly present STOMP, a one-of-a-kind show that brings industrial objects to life in a rhythmic explosion! STOMP is an Off-Broadway act like no other: its overwhelming success is marked by numerous sell-out shows, prestigious awards, and television appearances. This international sensation has been on everything from Coca-Cola commercials (see below!) to Good Morning America! Below are some fun facts about the show and its success!
- STOMP has performed in over 350 cities in 36 countries worldwide.
- STOMP is one of the longest-running shows in Off-Broadway history.
- STOMP is the most financially successful Off-Broadway show in history.
- The North American Tour has been running since 1995.
- There are two STOMP troupes in Europe—a residency in London and a tour.
- International engagements have included Korea, Brazil, Japan, Chile, China, South Africa, The Acropolis in Athens, Greece, and Australia.
OTHER STOMP EVENTS
- In 2007, a brand-new production from STOMP's creators, STOMP OUT LOUD, opened in Las Vegas. SOL featured a cast double the size of the original production and played 647 performances at the Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino inside a new $28 million theater specifically created for the production.
- “STOMP Out Litter” —a public service announcement with New York City Mayor Bloomberg, debuted in New York City in April 2006 with print and television.
- Pulse: a STOMP Odyssey – Directed by Luke and Steve, this IMAX film is a celebration of the global beat and an exploration of the sights and sounds of continents and cultures throughout the world.
- Dolby—STOMP filmed a commercial for Dolby sound, which was screened in movie theaters worldwide.
- Carnegie Hall—STOMP performed on Sunday, November 17, 2002 at Carnegie Hall for its annual Children’s Fund Benefit.
- The 68th Annual Academy Awards®: STOMP performed an original piece involving the live synchronization of classic film clips and on-stage action, featuring 20 performers from both the U.S. and UK casts.
- The Emmy Awards®.
- The Late Show with David Letterman, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno,The Oprah Winfrey Show, The Today Show, Good Morning America, The Ellen Degeneres Show, Late Night With Conan O’Brien, and Last Call with Carson Daly.
- Roseanne and Mad About You.
- Let's Make Music (Sony Home Video release), with Sesame Street characters.
- Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood.
- Mr. Frear’s Ears series on Nickelodeon.
- Commercials: Coca-Cola’s “Ice Pick” spot and Target’s “Back-to-School” series.
- Olivier Award for Best Choreography (the London equivalent of the Tony Award®).
- Obie Award (New York’s Off-Broadway Awards).
- Drama Desk Award for Unique Theatre Experience.
- Brooms (a STOMP-based short film), produced by Quincy Jones: Academy Award® Nomination (Best Live Action Short), Cannes Film Festival Nomination (Best Live Action Short).
- STOMP Out Loud (HBO special): four Emmy® nominations (including Outstanding Direction for Variety or Music Program) and one Emmy Award®(Outstanding Multi-Camera Picture Editing for a Miniseries, Movie, or Special).
- The STOMPwebsite averages over 1.5 million hits per month.
Formatted by Heather Wharton
STOMP is sponsored by BordenPerlman