Behind the Scenes with Ken Davenport
Posted on 01/20/2021
On January 27, 2020, Tony® Award-winning Producer Ken Davenport will host and moderate A Broadway Conversation and Q&A with eight Broadway actors and one director. Davenport—whose producing credits include Once on This Island, Kinky Boots, The Play That Goes Wrong, and Spring Awakening—will talk to the panel about topics including what it's like to be a part of an iconic show, character preparation, a behind-the-scenes look at the life of a touring actor, the importance of the arts, diversity and inclusion in the arts, and what they miss most during the pandemic.
Davenport has had a long and successful career in the arts. Upon graduating from New York University's Tisch School of the Arts, he began to work as a production assistant on the 1993 Broadway revival of My Fair Lady starring Richard Chamberlain. He founded Davenport Theatrical Enterprises (DTE), and through it produced the off-Broadway shows The Awesome 80s Prom, Altar Boyz, and My First Time. He kicked off his Broadway production career with the musical 13, and hasn’t slowed down since.
In addition to his many many accomplishments on the Broadway stage, Davenport has succeeded in his other ventures. He is the co-founder of both TedxBroadway and the blog TheProducersPerspective, and has been featured in Vanity Fair, New York Magazine, and The Gothamist. You can even see him on a national commercial for Apple’s iPhone!
Meet the Panelists
- Kennedy Caughell — Last seen at STNJ as Carole King in Beautiful—The Carole King Musical, Kennedy has performed on Broadway in Natasha, Pierre, & the Great Comet of 1812 and Beautiful—The Carole King Musical. She has also performed in the national tour of Wicked.
- Chris Stevens—The New Jersey native made his STNJ debut in the national tour (and NJ premiere!) of Jersey Boys as Nick Massi in 2017. He has also performed as Rum Tum Tugger in the national tour of Cats and as Sky in the national tour of Mamma Mia.
- Devin Holloway—Last seen in the national tour of After Midnight as Tap Brother; Devin has performed at STNJ in two different national tours, just months apart! He was the Minstrel in Something Rotten! and played Jackie Wilson in Motown the Musical. Other national tours 42nd Street and HAIR.
- Matt DiCarlo—A Rutgers Alum, Matt was the Tour Director for the national tour of The Play That Goes Wrong, which was set to make it's STNJ debut in April 2020. His Broadway credits as a Production Stage Manager include Beetlejuice, The Play That Goes Wrong, and the Tony®-winning revival of The Color Purple.
- Pedro Ka’awaloa—Pedro wowed STNJ audiences with his performance as the King of Siam in the national tour of the Rogers and Hammerstein musical, The King and I. His regional theatre credits include El Gallo in The Fantasticks, South Pacific, and Evita.
- Bailey McCall—Last seen as Jenna in the national tour of Waitress, Bailey beautifully performed the role of Sally Bowles in the national tour of Cabaret at STNJ in 2018. Off-Broadway: Penny in The Big Bang Theory: Musical Parody
- Gabriella Rodriguez—A New Jersey native, Gabriella was last seen on the STNJ stage in February 2020 in the role of Squeak in the national tour of The Color Purple. Regional Theatre: In the Heights. Educational: Cabaret and Little Women.
- Javon King—A Rider University Alum and New Jersey native, Javon King dazzled audiences with his performance as Angel in the national and international tour of RENT.
- James Taylor Odom— Last seen at STNJ in the national tour of A Gentleman's Guide to Love & Murder, James played the roles (all 8!) of the D'Ysquith Family. National Tour: Captain Von Trapp U/S The Sound of Music. Regional credits: Scrooge in A Christmas Carol, Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady, and Murder For Two.