Find the ticket policies, exchange and refund information, and safety protocols for State Theatre New Jersey.
COVID-19 Safety Guidelines
Updated July 1, 2022
During the COVID-19 pandemic the theater underwent extensive renovations to its facilities and systems, many of which were designed with the health and safety of our patrons in mind:
- All new restrooms with touchless technology.
- New HVAC system that exceeds industry standards for virus filtration and air flow.
- Brand-new theater seats.
- Fully renovated lobbies and concessions.
- Hand sanitizer stations are throughout the facility.
- Protective barriers at Guest Services.
Based on advice from the CDC and the State of New Jersey as well as best practices adopted by the performing arts industry, State Theatre has implemented the following health and safety guidelines.
- As of July 1, 2022, proof of vaccination status or results of a negative COVID-19 test are no longer required to enter the theater.
- Masks are strongly encouraged but not required.
- If you are feeling ill the day of an event or have been exposed to someone who has COVID-19, we kindly ask that you do not attend the performance. Call Guest Services no later than 3 hours before performance time to discuss your options at 732-246-7469.
Guidelines are subject to change at any time, and some artists and shows may require more stringent measures. Please refer to the performance page on this website before coming to the theater or your preshow email for the latest policies applicable to your show. Failure to follow posted guidelines will result in denial of entry or expulsion from the theater without a refund.
There are no ticket exchanges unless you fall within one of the following categories listed below:
- President's Council member and above (donors at $2,500 and above): For a $5 fee, ticket exchanges are permitted for State Theatre New Jersey-presented events no later than 72 hours prior to a performance (and during Guest Services operating hours). The original ticket purchaser must call their Ticket Concierge, Guest Services at 732-246-7469, or visit Guest Services to exchange tickets. The value of exchanged ticket monies must be redeemed within within the same season which expires June 30. Exchange values can only be applied to tickets for State Theatre New Jersey-presented events and cannot be used for any other goods or services. All exchanges are subject to availability. Ticket sales for rental and special events are final sales and exchanges are not permitted. Tickets purchased from GoldStar or TodayTix cannot be exchanged through State Theatre New Jersey Guest Services.
- Broadway Series Season Ticket Holders: Ticket exchanges are permitted within the same show at least 24 hours in advance, subject to availability. The original season ticket purchaser must call the Season Ticket Concierge at 732-246-7469, ext. 555 or visit Guest Services to exchange tickets.
You can donate the value of your ticket(s) to State Theatre New Jersey as a tax-deductible contribution by 1pm the day prior to the performance date. Please note donated tickets only apply to State Theatre-presented event, rental and special events are excluded.
Ticket Credits & Refunds
Once an order is placed, there are NO REFUNDS on tickets unless the event is cancelled. Refunds are only made to the original purchaser and are issued for the value of the tickets only. In the event of a cancellation, every effort will be made to notify the purchaser. If a show is impacted due to COVID-19 mitigation efforts original ticket holders can choose from these options within 30 days of notification of the performance change: If a show is rescheduled to a new date you can keep your existing tickets and they will be valid for the new date, or if a show is rescheduled and you cannot make the new date, or a show is cancelled you can: 1) Donate your tickets, the total ticket value will count toward member benefits and you can receive a tax deduction (ticket donations do not normally count towards membership but considering the circumstances we’ve decided to change our standard procedures for events affected by COVID-19). 2) Exchange your tickets for a STNJ gift certificate. 3) Receive a full refund for the value of the ticket and associated fees.
There is a $4 facility fee assessed to each individual ticket and a transaction fee is applied to all phone and online orders. The transaction fee for group orders is $12 per order. The transaction fee is waived for walk up orders at State Theatre New Jersey Guest Services (15 Livingston Avenue, New Brunswick, NJ). Season Ticket packages have a $4 per ticket facility fee and a transaction fee.
Based upon availability, ticket upgrades are permitted at the discretion of the presenter up until curtain and patron must pay any difference in the cost of the upgraded ticket price plus a $9 upgrade fee.
Gift Certificates can be ordered in any increment and are valid for five years from the date of issue. Gift Certificates can be emailed or mailed and are redeemable online, by phone, or in person at Guest Services. State Theatre New Jersey Gift Certificates cannot be redeemed for NJ Symphony tickets or any other tickets that are not sold through State Theatre New Jersey Guest Services. Gift Certificates cannot be redeemed for merchandise or concessions. Order your Gift Certificate online, visit State Theatre New Jersey Guest Services, or call 732-246-7469.
For the safety of our guests, bags may be searched upon entry and patrons may be asked to pass through magnetometers or hand-held metal detectors. Sharp objects, weapons, and illegal contraband are not permitted into the venue. The items listed below, and any additional items that State Theatre New Jersey determines could potentially distract from the audience’s safety and enjoyment, are prohibited items that will not be allowed inside the venue. State Theatre reserves the right to eject or ban entry to patrons with such prohibited items. Items include but are not limited to:
- cameras, audio / video recording devices, tripods / monopods, or selfie sticks;
- laser pointers;
- illegal drugs / substances;
- chemical weapons, including mace and pepper spray;
- noise-making devices;
- signs / flags / banners;
- outside food or beverage, including alcohol;
- oversized bags or backpacks;
- pets (service animals exempt);
- or laptops / tablets.
Child Seating Policy
- No one under the age of 18 is permitted in the theater without a parent or guardian and must be: 1) accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times while in any area of the theater, including restrooms and concessions. 2) seated directly adjacent to a parent or guardian.
- Please refer to each event page for the ages we strongly recommend as appropriate for each performance.
Late Seating Policy
Traffic and parking in New Brunswick can become congested prior to a performance. We suggest that you allow extra time to arrive relaxed and ready to enjoy your event. Those arriving after a performance has begun will be seated at the State Theatre New Jersey staff's discretion and should expect they will miss a portion of the show based on their arrival time and artist policies.
Occasionally, for certain events geared towards very young children, free infant lap vouchers are available for children 11 months or younger (lap vouchers require that children must be sitting on the lap of a parent or guardian). When available, information regarding free infant lap vouchers will be posted on the webpage for that specific event, or please call Guest Services. If your child will have reached their first birthday by the date of the performance, they must have a paid ticket and must be seated next to a parent or guardian. No individual will be admitted into the audience chamber without either a ticket or an infant voucher.
Cameras And Electronic Devices
All audio / visual devices and photography, filming, recording, and taping are strictly prohibited. State Theatre New Jersey reserves the right to deny entry to or remove any guest from the premises who refuses to comply with this policy.
Venue Recording Consent
By entering facilities where State Theatre New Jersey is presenting programming, you consent to be photographed, filmed and/or otherwise recorded. Your entry constitutes consent on behalf of yourself and your minor children to such photography, filming, and/or recording and to any use in any and all media in perpetuity. You understand that all photography, filming, and/or recording will be done in reliance on this consent given by you entering these areas. If you do not agree to the foregoing, do not enter.
Inclement Weather Policy
In the case of inclement weather, refunds will be awarded only if the show is cancelled. Every effort will be made to contact the original ticket buyers if a show is cancelled. If you purchased tickets from Groupon, please call 888-664-4482. If you purchased tickets from Goldstar, please call 626-204-3960. If you purchased tickets from TodayTix, please call 855-464-9778.
If discounts or promotions are offered, those discounts are not retroactive and cannot be combined (unless otherwise specified). Discounts and promotions have terms that may include expiration dates, limited availability, or additional fees and restrictions. Please read the terms carefully before making your purchase.
Vouchers & Coupons
Vouchers and coupons are valid for up to one year from the date issued and are only valid for select State Theatre New Jersey events (not all events apply). To receive your tickets, you must hand deliver or mail your voucher or coupons to State Theatre New Jersey Guest Services (15 Livingston Ave, New Brunswick, NJ 08901) with your performance request(s). When mailing or handing in your voucher, please be sure to include your contact information (address, phone, email, etc.). Vouchers and coupons do not serve as admission and must be redeemed for actual tickets. Tickets are subject to availability and the section and location of seats are at the discretion of Guest Services (vouchers or coupons cannot be redeemed for select seating). Seats are not offered in all sections. Vouchers or coupons will not be honored if altered or reproduced in any way. They are not transferable and are not redeemable for cash. Vouchers or coupons cannot be combined with other discounts or offers. No upgrades in seating area are permitted. Vouchers and coupons are not valid for rental events. State Theatre New Jersey complimentary ticket vouchers and coupons have no monetary value. Vouchers will not be extended beyond the date for which they are valid. Tickets redeemed from a voucher are delivered via email or Will Call pick-up only.
Please note that coupon offers, such as those in the Entertainment Book as well as from other sources, listing State Theatre are not valid, have not been authorized by State Theatre New Jersey, and cannot be honored. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please contact the resource the coupon was purchased from directly with any questions.
State Theatre New Jersey strongly cautions against guests buying tickets from ticket sources not officially sanctioned by us. A counterfeit ticket will not be accepted. State Theatre New Jersey values customers’ privacy and security, and we will not access records nor reprint tickets for anyone who cannot be verified as the original ticket buyer.
Policies, programs, artists, dates, times, and prices are subject to change without notice. Additional fees may apply.